Sunday, June 30, 2013

My Class to The xx's "Heart Skipped a Beat"

For my last class as Movement Lifestyle's June Contemporary teacher, I wanted to teach to another song by The xx. I was in the mood for something light-hearted with a medium tempo, and ended up choosing "Heart Skipped a Beat" from the group's debut album.

I was joined in class by the beautiful Diana Schoenfield, a fellow dancer on Entity Contemporary Dance Company and a third year Dance student at UC Irvine. :



It's hard to admit, but as someone who is very new to the teaching scene in LA (it's been 6 months!) I get nervous thinking about whether or not people will show up to class. I've had long conversations with my peers and other teachers about my insecurities, and they always try to assuage my doubts with a few theories on the culture of class taking in LA. Regardless, I enjoy creating movement and sharing it with others!

And that is why I love when my friends come to class. It takes the pressure and edge off, and it's an incredible feeling watching someone I respect do my choreography. Diana is particularly breathtaking to watch. She has a way of being very subtle and articulate all the while being intense and engaging. Definitely peep her stuff on her Youtube channel or go to UCI and watch her in a show!

Thank you again to Movement Lifestyle for having me teach this month, and of course much gratitude to Diana for dancing with me last Thursday.

I'll still be subbing at Edge Performing Arts Center, and my next class is Tuesday (July 2) at 2:30. Hope to see you there!

No comments :

Post a Comment