Friday, September 6, 2013

New Things in New York

I found myself back in the Big Apple a few weeks ago for work, and this time I was stationed in the never-before-explored Brooklyn (BK).

BK flaunts the reputation of being an up and coming part of NYC, the "new" Manhattan if you will. The area I stayed in is considered Fort Greene (with Prospect Heights not too far away), and it was structurally reminiscent of the all too familiar Lower East Side in Manhattan:

My future apartment building.

"Turn To Me. I See Eternity."

Something old, something new.

"Euphoria is You For Me."

Trader Joe's. Brooklyn-ized.
Exposed brick, abundant retail shops and food spots, and heavy foot traffic made this charming neighborhood an exciting place to explore.

My friend Liana and I walked a little less than a mile to the highly acclaimed vegan restaurant M.O.B. We were sorely disappointed to find it closed for summer holiday (apparently a common thing for businesses in NYC). A quick search with Yelp later and we ended up at Sun in Bloom, a quaint vegan establishment nestled in Park Slope:


Mildly expensive but incredibly delicious, the alternative food at Sun Bloom did not disappoint. The extensive menu covers the basic vegan food categories from raw sandwiches to gluten-free, dairy-free, and processed sugar-free baked goods.

And I of course had to find a yoga studio while I was in town. Yelp led me to Mala Yoga, a small studio located in Cobble Hill. I purchased a new student deal ($30 for 3 classes), and went three consecutive mornings. While I enjoyed the intimate classes and mellow energy at Mala Yoga, my body and brain are accustomed to the more energetic and powerful vibes at my studio in LA (Yogaworks on Larchmont). I was disappointed by Mala's lack of a Brooklyn equivalent to Colleen Garrity or Vinnie Marino.

All in all it was a very enjoyable trip, and I hope to visit again one day soon.

I < 3 BK

No comments :

Post a Comment