Friday, January 4, 2013

A New Year: 2013

The beginning of a new year always feels like the beginning of a new journey. Someone magically presses the restart button and all one's sins and mistakes from the year before are wiped clean from consciousness.

Resolutions are made. Goals are set. And the hope is that over the course of these next 365 days, what one failed to accomplish in the year before will be achieved now.

I began 2012 as a college senior struggling to define my post-college plans. I had an incredible job as a PR Assistant at a major high fashion company; the optimist in me thought I could hang on to that job forever. But reality kicked in and I had to quit that job in October to go on tour. One door was so wide open that it forced another shut.

I don't believe in new years resolutions, but I do believe in short-term and long-term goals. This year, as I really step out into the world as a real "professional dancer" (with no college courses to take, no part-time job to do, or any other strings attached), I feel a sense of anxiety.

It's not a nervousness that I can explain, and it's definitely a sensation that I have never felt before. It is a mix of excitement and worry with a dash of contentment. Contentment that I didn't settle for something with which I knew I wouldn't be happy. Contentment that I at least tried to do something sensible and practical. Most of all, contentment that despite my indecision through all these years, I finally decided.

So to the handful of readers who every so often devote their precious time to my blog: you might notice a slight shift in the kinds of things I post about. And you might not. I suppose we'll find out as the year progresses.

Here's to 2012. An amazing year of accomplishments and realized dreams. The year I was in love, the year I graduated, and the year that I danced on a world tour.

So bring it on 2013! I await the many surprises you shall bring.

Shanti to you from the Dubai Creek

No comments :

Post a Comment